JULY FOURTH • 2019 • SAUVIE ISLAND, OREGON
Race estimated to fill in...
Fee Schedules For Foot Traffic Flat Races
There are no refunds for this race, no exceptions. However, transfers (to different distances or to different people) are FREE until bibs are assembled approximately 12 days before the race and $10 after that.
- $95, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: June 12th-bib pick up.
- $105, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: BIB PICK UP or RACE DAY.
- $78, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: June 12th-bib pick up.
- $85, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: BIB PICK UP or RACE DAY.
10K (road course)
- $55, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: June 12th-bib pick up.
- $58, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: BIB PICK UP or RACE DAY.
5K (road course)
- $40, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: June 12th-bib pick up.
- $44, Includes super cute strawberry medal, chip timing, shirt sizes limited to sizes listed within registration: BIB PICK UP or RACE DAY.
- Half Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal & custom race bib with your name (Nov. 1st to Jan. 15th): NA
- Half Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal & custom race bib (Jan. 16th to April 1st): NA
- Half Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal, custom race bib (April 2nd to June 11th): NA
- Half Marathon with huge finishers medal, custom race bib, shirt sizes may be limited: $78 (after June 11th)
- CUSTOM RACE BIB OPTION CLOSES on June 11th!
- Half Marathon Packet pick up (if available *see shirt info below): $85
- FULL Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal, & custom race bib (Nov. 1st to Jan. 15th): NA
- FULL Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal, & custom race bib (Jan. 16th to April 1st): NA
- FULL Marathon WITH tech-shirt & huge finishers medal, & custom race bib (April 2nd to June 11th): NA
- FULL Marathon with huge finishers medal, and custom race bib, shirt sizes may be limited: (after June 11th): $95
- CUSTOM RACE BIB OPTION CLOSES on June 11th!
- FULL Marathon Packet pick up (if available *see shirt info below): $105
10K (flat road course)
- 10K WITH tech-shirt & finishers medal, custom race bib (Nov. 1st to Jan.15th): NA
- 10K WITH tech-shirt & finishers medal, custom race bib (Jan. 16th to April 1st): NA
- 10K WITH tech-shirt & finishers medal, custom race bib (April 2nd to June 11th!): NA
- 10K with finishers medal, custom race bib, shirt sizes may be limited (after June 11th): $55
- CUSTOM RACE BIB OPTION CLOSES on June 11th!
- 10K PACKET PICK UP (if available): $58
5K (Flat road course)
- 5K WITH tech-shirt & finishers medal, custom race bib (Nov. 1st-Jan. 15th): NA
- 5K WITH tech-shirt & finishers medal, custom race bib (Jan. 16th to April 1st): NA
- 5K WITH tech-shirt & finishers medal, custom race bib (April 2nd to June 11th): NA
- 5K with finishers medal, custom race bib, shirt sizes may be limited(after June 11th): $40
- CUSTOM RACE BIB OPTION CLOSES on June 11th!
- 5K PACKET PICK UP (if available): $44
FOOT TRAFFIC FLAT DETAILS:
Race in the morning in a farm land paradise and head back to town with a gorgeous medal around your neck and plenty of time for your Fourth of July celebrations that afternoon/evening! Looking for the perfect place to start the festivities for your Fourth of July holiday? Look no further than Sauvie Island, the pastoral island paradise just 20 minutes north of downtown Portland. Start your morning off with sunrise views of Mt. Hood, Mt. Saint Helens, and Mt. Adams as you cross over the majestic Sauvie Island Bridge. When you get to the venue at the famous Pumpkin Patch farm and market, you’ll recognize right away that life on the farm is the best way to spend your Fourth of July morning. Replete with a petting zoo, produce market, gift shop, espresso cart, and acres of lush farmland, the Pumpkin Patch is the perfect venue to calm your pre-race nerves and allow you to appreciate the natural beauty all around you.
Did you know that the average high temp for July 4th in Portland is 76 degrees with a low of 56? That’s good news for you! Race day temps usually hover in the low 60’s and rise into the 70’s by 12 pm (can rise into the upper 70’s by late morning).
Just about the flattest and fastest half and full marathon on the West Coast. But in addition to the fast times expected from completing this event, the splendor of Sauvie Island awaits all runners and walkers that visit. Thousands of songbirds, majestic bald eagles, scenic waterways, and picturesque working farmland are just a few of the sights that await you. Both the half and full are certified road courses. The 10K and 5K are professionally measured and also very flat road courses.
Strawberry Stations on Course
Strawberry-themed aid station for each race! All races will have a special “strawberry station” that will feature whole, fresh strawberries, strawberry sweets, and strawberry lemonade flavored Nuun! Super strawberry boost coming up ahead! Now you can have strawberries DURING the race as well as your strawberry shortcake after!
The Medal (bling!)
Every year our medals get rave reviews from our participants. This year is no exception with a strawberry design that is nod to the heritage of the event. Strawberries have always been a big part of the island and the race itself. From strawberry shortcake at the finish, tasting fresh, whole strawberries out on the course, and picking strawberries at the Pumpkin Patch, this race is all things BERRIES! So now you get strawberries for your neck in addition to all the strawberries for your tummy! Two race medals sizes: 4″ medals for the half/full finishers (with separate specific finisher ribbons for each race) and a 3″ medal for the 5K/10K too! Kids race also get medals!
After You Finish
All participants are treated to refreshing and scrumptious island-fresh strawberry shortcake, hot dogs, veggie dogs, and other snacks and fruit! Our gracious hosts, The Pumpkin Patch, also have a petting zoo for the kiddos, tractor rides, espresso stand, gift shop, and an awesome farmers market so you can shop for items to take home that afternoon. For more information on Sauvie Island, check out their informative website. We all know that one of the big bonuses of traveling to different races in different locations is the opportunity to explore new and exciting cities and communities across the world. Whether you are coming from outside the state or country or whether you live nearby, Sauvie Island is a wonderful place to explore! Click here to expand your geographical horizons! www.sauvieisland.org
PRE-RACE PACKET PICK UP
- Saturday, June 29th at Foot Traffic NE (4020 NE Fremont ST.) from 11-6 pm
- Sunday, June 30th at Foot Traffic West (13306 NW Cornell Rd.) from 11-5 pm
- Tuesday, July 2nd at Foot Traffic Southeast (7718 SE 13th Ave.) from 12-7 pm
- Wednesday, July 3rd at Foot Traffic Downtown (SW 3rd and Taylor) from 10-3 pm
*Packets will be available race morning, but you are STRONGLY encouraged to pick it up the day before. There can be long lines and it can take a bit of time parking and getting ready for the race.
5:30AM: Race day packet pick up begins
6:30AM: FULL marathon starts
6:50AM: 5K/10K Starts *updated!
7:00AM: Half Starts *updated!
9:00AM: Kids race begins* tentative
Relax after the race with some scrumptious island-fresh strawberry shortcake, icing pools, berry picking and shopping at the Pumpkin Patch, and some All-American grub with some hot dogs (and veggie dogs) compliments of the Pumpkin Patch Patio Cafe’.
AWARDS AND GOODIES FOR ALL
Medals to all half and full marathon as well as the 10K and 5K finishers. Awards to age group winners and LOTS of door prizes for ALL finishers after the race. Awards will be handed out throughout the morning as people finish, so listen for announcements and your bib number! There will be no official awards ceremony due to the varied finish times, but we do have winners “cups” to be handed out to anyone that wins their age group!
We have raised over $525,000 for both the fire department, the Sauvie Island community, and many other local charities, schools, and non-profits! The residents of Sauvie Island are truly appreciative of your support and can’t wait to host you on their pastoral paradise once again! Thank you!
A common question leading up to the event is whether spectators and family can drive the course or come to the island after the race has started. Our best answers for these questions are as follows:
• Spectators are NOT allowed to drive around the island while the race is going on. The roads aren’t completely closed, but traffic is only reserved for island residents.
• Spectators CAN get onto the island after the race has started, but since the one bridge onto the island is just under 2 miles from the start line, you may have to wait awhile once the race gets going. We STRONGLY ADVISE all participants and spectators to make the trip out together to save gas, save space, and ease congestion! If you absolutely cannot do this, then you should probably arrive after 8am to assure easier access to the island.
• Spectators CAN park and ride a BIKE around the island to different spots! This is likely the BEST opportunity for spectating. There are plenty of gravel pull-outs for bikers given the country setting of the race. A good place to rent is the 21st Ave bikes in NW Portland at http://www.21stbikes.com/bicycle-rentals/. Spectators can bring bikes onto the shuttle buses and pull into the aisles as space allows, but please budget accordingly given that some of the buses could be full with other bikes.
• YES, one lane around the island is ostensibly closed by all practical means. With over 2,000 runners and walkers looping around the island on a two lane road in a clockwise fashion, traffic is limited to local access only. For emergencies, traffic is allowed to access runners. The best idea for getting to the other side and watching your family or friends is to bike! It’s cleaner and safer!
DIRECTIONS FROM THE AIRPORT
- Take I-205 South from Airport Drive
- Take I-84 West
- Take I-5 North about 1 mile
- Take I-405 exit onto the Fremont Bridge (about one mile up on I-5)
- Take the first right off the bridge and follow signs that say HW 30/St. Helens.
- Take HWY 30 about 6 miles north, cross under the beautiful St. Johns Bridge and continue for another 5 miles
- Take a right onto Sauvie Island. Once off the bridge go left and go under the bridge
- Go about 2 miles and you’ll see the pumpkin patch on your left
- It should be about a 25 minute drive from the airport. Minimal traffic and a lot of freeways and highways
Our 2019 Sponsor Hotel:
Silver Cloud Inn
The Silver Cloud Inn is our official race hotel. They are one of the closest hotels to the race start and we guarantee you’ll have a great night’s sleep before the race in one of their great rooms! Remodeled rooms and right next to the shuttle location, so if you are from out of town and want to take the shuttle, this is the place to be! Plus, it’s a super convenient location near the Downtown corridor and close to restaurants and shopping and our Downtown Foot Traffic store is accessible via public transit to pick up your bib. The hotel books up quickly, so reserve soon! VIEW SILVER CLOUD RATE SHEET HERE
FOOT TRAFFIC FLAT TRAINING OPTIONS
KIDS 1K FARM COURSE
CLICK HERE for the Kids race course! 1 kilometer starting and finishing at the same location as the adult races. A mix of gravel, grass, and dirt, this course pretty much just circles the main Pumpkin Patch group of buildings and barns. The kid’s race will have a clock at the finish but will not be chip timed or have formal results. The medals will have a spot for parents to write their child’s time on the back.
Like many races we have a no refund policy but we do allow transfers. Transfers from race to race and between participants are free until June 1st. After June 1st there is a $10 fee to change from person to person and to drop down in distance to cover the new bib and chip. Transfers are allowed through packet pickups but are not allowed on race day. If you have questions or wish to transfer email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IT’S COOL TO CARPOOL
PLEASE RIDE THE SHUTTLE! Or at the very least, we encourage participants to carpool.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS
For getting around Portland (ie. getting to packet pick up locations, hitting great restaurants, visiting your local Foot Traffic store, etc…) here is a great link to our public transportation’s trip planner! Unfortunately, there are no public transportation options on the morning of July 4th. All buses run on holiday hours on the Fourth, so nothing goes out to the island that early. This is one of the reasons we have a fantastic shuttle system. We thought of everything (well, almost). Check the Facebook forum above to post ride requests or offerings there and get to the island with a new/old friend! Plus, check out the top of this page for information on our new shuttle option!
TICKETS are available in store for cash or check or online within the registration or separately. Click here for a map of the shuttle start location. A shuttle takes you from NW Portland in front of the Silver Cloud Inn (2426 NW Vaughn St.) all the way to Sauvie Island & back! We highly recommend taking a shuttle from NW Portland given that it helps eliminate traffic and is super convenient and saves you the hassle and the gas money! Last year over 1000 participants high-tailed it to the start and got there on time and let the bus drivers do all the work! It’s well worth it! However, this is not a mandatory shuttle and is meant to alleviate congestion at the start (which it has succeeded in exceptionally well!). Buses leave as they are filled starting at 5am and return as they are filled starting at 9 am or whenever the first bus fills for a return trip.
Click here for the bus schedule and more information! Yes, spectators can ride the shuttle! See spectator information below for bike information and other details as well.