YOUTH CROSS COUNTRY MEETS
Calling all 3rd through 8th graders! It’s time to run over the hills and through the woods at our series of low-pressure and super-fun cross country meets. Join us this fall at our NEW HOME at Fernhill Park in Northeast Portland! Whether you’re an individual student that is brand new to cross country or are part of a team, these meets are for youth of ALL abilities. Come for one meet or join us for all of them! This spectator-friendly course makes it easy for parents and coaches to encourage their budding athletes from multiple locations. Different distances for each grade. 1500 meters for grade 3/4, 2000 meters for grade 5/6, and 3000 meters for grade 7/8. Clock at the finish, but no official results. The final championship meet of the year does have a team competition with team results!
All-Comer Cross Country:
BACKGROUND: For over 17 years, Foot Traffic has been hosting and sponsoring youth & adult track and cross country races in the Portland Metro area. Our goal has always been to introduce the sport to as many people as possible with an emphasis on participation and education over intimidating practice schedules. When Portland Parks and Recreation and Foot Traffic instituted it’s first all comer cross country meet, our goal was to serve those young athletes that either didn’t have the means to participate or simply didn’t know about the sport. So whether your young athlete is a returning runner or a first-time jogger, they are sure to exit the meets feeling excited and enthusiastic about the sport!
2021 MEET DATES
- Sept. 16th
- Sept. 23rd
- Oct. 7th
- Oct. 14th*
*PIL and Team Championship meet. Team results (teams of 4) will be tallied at this meet for each grade. All individuals and teams welcome.
- 4:30-5:00pm: Registration
- 5:00pm: 1,500m (Grade 3,4 coed)
- 5:13pm: 2,000m (Grade 5,6 coed)
- 5:29pm: 3,000m (Grade 7, 8 boys)
- 5:45pm: 3,000m (Grade 7, 8 girls)
$4 for each athlete. Cash or check only. Register at least 15 min. before the start of your race.
FOOT TRAFFIC YOUTH XC CLUB INFO:
Click here for more details on our twice-per-week cross country club this fall! Multiple locations and times!
*CHAMPIONSHIP MEET ADDITIONAL INFO:
Please read instructions below carefully for this event:
- BUS drop-off for students should be done on Overlook Blvd., just North of the park (click for a map). The main entrance gets too crowded for large groups of students to be dropped off and this allows buses to park within the neighborhood as they wait for the next hour. Please obey all neighborhood parking rules.
- Overflow parking will take place in the Kaiser lot on the EAST side of Interstate, just across the street from the park.(click here for map).
- Registration begins at 4:15pm. We will have waivers and forms there. Ribbons to all participants!
- Team trophies awarded by grade and by gender. Trophies are awarded that day at the end of the event.
- 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 grade normal races will follow on our normal schedule
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions