CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you for spending your Fourth of July with us and enjoy your summer!
CLICK for RACE PHOTOS: Evan Pilchik Photography should have available around July 7th or 8th after the race.
Email email@example.com for any questions regarding your results!
2015 RACE RESULTS
FEE SCHEDULES FOR FOOT TRAFFIC FLAT
- Half Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal & custom race bib with your name (Jan. 16th to April 1st): $68
- CUSTOM RACE BIB OPTION CLOSES on June 1st!
- Half Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal (April 2nd to June 1st): $72
- Half Marathon with huge finishers medal & Includes soft-hand, gender specific cotton shirt: $72 (after June 1st)
- Half Marathon Packet pick up (*see shirt info below): $80
FARM FEST 8K (NEW OFF-ROAD FARM COURSE!)
- Includes unique 8K finishers medal!
- 8K WITH tech-shirt & farm-fest finishers medal (Jan. 16th to April 1st): $42
- 8K WITH tech-shirt & farm-fest finishers medal (April 2nd to June 1st): $44
- 8K with farm-fest finishers medal & Includes soft-hand, gender specific cotton shirt (after June 1st): $46
- 8K PACKET PICK UP: $52
- FULL Marathon WITH tech-shirt, huge finishers medal, & custom race bib with your name! (Jan. 16th to April 1st): $86
- CUSTOM RACE BIB OPTION CLOSES on June 1st!
- FULL Marathon WITH tech-shirt & huge finishers medal! (April 2nd to June 1st): $90
- FULL Marathon with huge finishers medal & includes soft-hand, gender specific cotton shirt (after June 1st): $90
- FULL Marathon Packet pick up (*see shirt info below): $95
FARM FEST 5K (NEW OFF-ROAD FARM COURSE!)
- Includes unique 5K finishers medal!
- 5K WITH tech-shirt & farm-fest finishers medal (Jan. 16th to April 1st): $37
- 5K WITH tech-shirt & farm-fest finishers medal (April 2nd to June 1st): $39
- 5K with farm-fest finishers medal & includes soft-hand, gender specific cotton shirt (after June 1st): $39
- 5K PACKET PICK UP: $44
TICKETS are still AVAILABLE but ONLY at the BIB PICK UP DAYS, NOT race day. CASH ONLY PLEASE!
Shuttle takes you from NW Portland in front of the Silver Cloud Inn (2426 NW Vaughn St.) all the way to Sauvie Island & back!
*While we have taken many steps to limit congestion at the race start (including reducing the cap & closing both lanes onto the island just for arriving race participants), we highly recommend taking shuttle from NW Portland. Last year over 1000 participants high-tailed it to the start and got there on time and let the bus drivers do all the work! It’s well worth it!
2015 EVENT SCHEDULE
*NOTE: 5K & 8K start times are subject to change
5:30AM: Race day packet pick up begins
6:30AM: FULL marathon starts
6:50AM: HALF starts
7:15AM: 5K & 8K starts*
PRE-RACE PACKET PICK UP
- Sunday, June 28th at Foot Traffic West (13306 NW Cornell Rd.) from 12-4 pm.
- Wednesday, July 1st at Foot Traffic Downtown (333 SW Taylor St.) from 12-7pm
- Thursday, July 2nd at Foot Traffic Northeast (4020 NE Fremont St.) from 12-7pm
- Friday, July 3rd at Foot Traffic Sellwood (7718 SE 13th Ave.) from 12-6pm
*Packets will be available race morning, but you are STRONGLY encouraged to pick it up the day before. There can be long lines and it can take a bit of time parking and getting ready for the race.
ABOUT THE EVENT: “Fun at the FLAT!”
The “Flat,” as we affectionately call it, has become a Fourth of July tradition around Portland. The course, as the name implies, is about the flattest and fastest half and full marathon on the West Coast. But in addition to the fast times expected from completing this event, runners and walkers will be treated to the beautiful sights of Sauvie Island, including thousands of songbirds, majestic bald eagles, and picturesque farmland that most of the island residents subsist off of.
Oh yeah, don’t forget the island-fresh strawberry shortcake! Not only is it scrumptious, but the islanders themselves serve it to you. Be sure to thank them and shake these wonderful people’s hands! For more information on Sauvie Island, check out their informative website. In addition to the many physical benefits of running & walking, we feel that one should always pursue the benefits of academic and research-based stimulation! Click here to expand your geographical horizons! www.sauvieisland.org
Relax after the race with a cool, refreshing drink and some scrumptious island fresh strawberry shortcake. In addition, enjoy some All-American grub with some hot dogs (and veggie dogs) compliments of the Pumpkin Patch. There is also a live band performing for all finishers!
Awards and Goodies for All
Medals to all half and full marathon, 8K and 5K finishers. Awards to the overall male and female winners and LOT’s of door prizes for ALL finishers after the race. Awards will be handed out throughout the morning as people finish, so listen for announcements and your bib number! There will be no official awards ceremony due to the varied finish times.
We have raised over $300,000 for both the fire department and a variety of other local charities, schools, and non-profits! Thank you for your support!
A common question leading up to the event is whether spectators and family can drive the course or come to the island after the race has started. Our best answers for these questions are as follows:
• Spectators are NOT allowed to drive around the island while the race is going on. The roads aren’t completely closed, but traffic is only reserved for island residents.
• Spectators CAN get onto the island after the race has started, but since the one bridge onto the island is just under 2 miles from the start line, you may have to wait awhile once the race gets going. We STRONGLY ADVISE all participants and spectators to make the trip out together to save gas, save space, and ease congestion! If you absolutely cannot do this, then you should probably arrive after 8pm to assure easier access to the island.
• Spectators CAN park and ride a BIKE around the island to different spots! This is likely the BEST opportunity for spectating. There are plenty of gravel pull-outs for bikers given the country setting of the race. A good place to rent is the Fat Tire Farm in NW Portland at www.fattirefarm.com
• YES, one lane around the island is ostensibly closed by all practical means. With over 2,000 runners and walkers looping around the island on a two lane road in a clockwise fashion, traffic is limited to local access only. For emergencies, traffic is allowed to access runners. The best idea for getting to the other side and watching your family or friends is to bike! It’s cleaner and safer!
HALF MARATHON COURSE
Flat and Fast! The race starts at the famous Pumpkin Patch on the South end of the island and heads out for one loop around the island on a two lane country road. There will be an electrolyte drink supplied on the course in addition to water and we’ve added yet another aid station to make sure participants get even more support on the course.
8K & 5K COURSE
The brand new Farm Fest 8K & 5K course will utilize our wonderful host, the Pumpkin Patch. You will traverse the farm’s roads cross-country style in a great new 4th of July tradition.
6 hour limit: Course closes at 12:30pm and those still on course will have to obey all traffic laws.
Our unique, fast, and scenic marathon course takes runners and walkers around around the same course as the half marathoners, but we’ve added an out-&-back down scenic Sauvie Island Rd. along the Multnomah Channel before rejoining original course to finish the marathon. The out-&-back section features a few gently rolling hills & a fantastic view of the water! There are some SMALL hills around the 15-19 mile marks for a total of 131 feet of elevation gain. There is also a short (less than a mile) out and back at approx. mile 17.5 with a very short and small hill (about 50 meters). This is your biggest hill of the course! Otherwise, it’s flat as a pancake.
CERTIFICATIONS & BOSTON QUALIFIER
Want a fast time? Both the half marathon and full marathon will be chip-timed and certified courses as well as a Boston Qualifier. Come run your fastest time of the season, the year, or your entire life! The Foot Traffic Flat was ranked 16th in the nation in 2013 and 12th in the nation in 2010 in percentage of Boston Qualifiers for marathon finishers! That’s pretty awesome! The Foot Traffic Flat is proud to feature Clif as our on-course nutrition source. Shot Bloks will be available at all aid stations except number 1. There will be a total of 7 aid stations for the half marathon and a total of 13 aid stations for the marathon. Each aid station will offer Nuun along with water. Nuun is a electrolyte-only drink without any carbs. We feel this is a good fit because it allows you to drink much more without compromising how many carbs you take in. It allows you to regulate carb consumption separately and get more of what your body really needs on these courses, ELECTROLYTES!
DIRECTIONS FROM THE AIRPORT
- Take I-205 South from Airport Drive
- Take I-84 West
- Take I-5 North about 1 mile
- Take I-405 exit onto the Fremont Bridge (about one mile up on I-5)
- Take the first right off the bridge and follow signs that say HW 30/St. Helens.
- Take HW 30 about 6 miles north, cross under the beautiful St. Johns Bridge and continue for another 5 miles
- Take a right onto Sauvie Island. Once off the bridge go left and go under the bridge
- Go about 2 miles and you’ll see the pumpkin patch on your left
- It should be about a 25 minute drive from the airport. Minimal traffic and a lot of freeways and highways
PAST RACE RESULTS
For RESULTS questions or concerns or corrections, CLICK HERE!
2011 RACE RESULTS
2010 RACE RESULTS
The Silver Cloud Inn is our official race hotel. They are one of the closest hotels to the race start and I guarantee you’ll have a great night’s sleep before the race in one of their great rooms! The hotel books up VERY quickly, so reserve soon! Check back for more hotel.
IT’S COOL TO CARPOOL
Public Transportation Options
For getting around Portland (ie. getting to packet pick up locations, hitting great restaurants, visiting your local Foot Traffic store, etc…) here is a great link to our public transportation’s trip planner! CLICK HERE for Trip Planner
Unfortunately, there are no public transportation options on the morning of July 4th. All buses run on holiday hours on the Fourth, so nothing goes out to the island that early. This is one of the reason we have a fantastic shuttle system. We thought of everything (well, almost). Check the Facebook forum above to post ride requests or offerings there and get to the island with a new/old friend! Plus, check out the top of this page for information on our new shuttle option!
The Foot Traffic Flat needs your help (or the help of your visiting family or friends!). We have positions available at the finish line, aid stations on the course, and before the race at our packet pick ups. EMAIL HERE to get information!
MAIL ENTRIES TO:
MAIL IN ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED by June 15th!!!!!
Foot Traffic • 4020 NE Fremont St. • Portland, OR 97212